Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Signs that you still haven't moved on (from your recent trip)

It's been exactly one month since our homecoming from our amazing race. And the hangover still lingers!

I guess it's now embedded in me. It seems that I'd always find something that I associate with our trip. There's always something to relate with our backpacking experience. It feels like coming from a break-up that everywhere you go, everything just reminds you of your ex. That I'm-still-not-over-him-and-I-just-want-to-reminisce kind of feeling? Yeah, that one.

Perhaps you're like me, you can tell that these are some signs that I still haven't moved on (from my trip, that is):
  • Experiencing the non-stop rains lately reminds me of our Vang Vieng days...
  • Waking up in the morning looking for banana pancakes... Then buying groceries to make one the next day.
  • Going to a Thai restaurant to satisfy the craving for Pad Thai and Thai milk tea. (And complaining to my travel buddies that in Thailand, it was only 20THB for the milk tea...).
  • Having a "backpacker's nook" BBM group with my travel buddies and just randomly reminiscing about the anything about the trip at any given day. (And we still memorize EVERY detail of it).
  • Playing songs from our backpacking soundtrack, watching movies, reading books that have the setting of the countries that we went to.
  • Having the usual conversation with your other friends and will suddenly insert, "Oh, in Cambodia, it used to be like this...", "Oh, in Laos, it was like that..."
  • Preaching to friends who plan to go backpacking about our tips, ideas, and anecdotes.
  • Changing my Facebook profile picture every several days or a week or so, and every photo is still from the trip.
  • Getting green with envy everytime I hear others who are still NOT finished with their backpacking trip having a great time.
  • Procrastinating about preparing for my next "minor" trip (local and not backpacking). Planning for the next BIG one may be highly unlikely to push through soon, so I just hang on to those past memories...
  • STILL blogging about THE trip one month after.
To celebrate our happy monthsary from our homecoming, let me end with this song:

"I walk along the city streets you used to walk along with me,
and every step I take reminds me of just how we used to be.
Well, how can I forget you, girl?
When there is always something there to remind me."



0 comments:

Post a Comment