Friday, December 31, 2010

The Year That Was on Travel and Photography according to The Traveling Havaianas

This is one of those lists I have to make every end of the year.

I was anticipating for 2010 and I said back then that I was ready to do the unthinkable. Now that the year's going to be over in a few hours... I could say I've done, seen, been to, and experienced exceeding abundantly above all that I could ask or think. Here's how 2010 looked like for The Traveling Havaianas:

First location shoot of the year. It was at THE University. Just seeing again the Oblation brings back the pride and honor of being able to study at UP and serve the country.


RUN! This is where Pards and I started to do our 5K runs after work, in Army Track, The Fort. And sit-ups also. Sadly, when I gave up my car late this year, I wasn't able to follow through anymore. :( (Excuses!)


This Is It! In mid-January, we had our sales kick-off in Sofitel Manila. This was the view from our window, 7th floor. Somewhere over the rainbow, the sales team was hopeful for the coming 2010.

First ever photo entry. "Gates" was the theme of the first monthly contest I joined in Zone V Camera Club. (Oh, that was a controversial month). This was taken in Fort Santiago. I'm pretty much satisfied with my first! :)



First OTS (On the Spot) shoot. For March’s contest, our entries should be from our On The Spot shoot road trip around Laguna Bay Loop. This was the hardest shoot for me then as I found out that there should be NO EDITING / POST-PROCESSING / CROPPING even on the cam. We started in Antipolo, to Mabitac, then Paete (until lunch), then Cavinti (hung out in Caliraya for a while) then got ready for our sunset shots, then last stop was at Pagsanjan.


First studio shoot ever. And I actually loved doing it. During our staycation in Manila during Holy week, we were doing the 7 deadly sins. Lust. Gluttony. Greed. Sloth. Wrath. Envy. Pride. I never thought I'd enjoy doing it (shooting this I mean), ‘cause I’ve usually done travel photography all the time. Thanks to my top model friends Belle, Cai, and Ron. ;-)

Binondo Photowalk with Zone V. AND Food Trip! No wonder Binondo seem to be one of our favorite places to shoot in.

The Way of the Sun with fella Travelistas a.k.a. The IT girls. ;) Summertime April, we met Mr. Mandy Marino, owner of Café Lago (where we had lunch), who gave us the Viaje del Sol map and contact to our tour guide in the lakes. San Pablo is known for the City of Seven Lakes so we've toured Sampaloc Lake and swam in Pandin Lake and got a view of its twin lake Yanbo.

First photo exhibit I joined in. "The Philippines" photo exhibit with Zone V Camera Club in SM Mall of Asia, IMAX theater. One proud mama here! :)

A first try on sports photography. Swim. Bike. Run! This was in Subic International Triathlon during the May 1 long weekend, supporting Pards and Team Globe.

First out-of-the-country shoot in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. This was the OTS of Zombies at KK for the May contest. Visited Kinabalu Park to see the peaks of Mt. Kinabalu in a wide range, Poring Hot Springs, Poring Canopy Walkway, Rafflesia flower site, and Kapungit waterfalls. Other interesting shoot places were in Kota Kinabalu Wetlands Center where it is covered with mangrove forests, Sutera Harbor Resort, Tanjung Aru beach, Signal Hill, and KK City Mosque.

More photography workshops and exhibits. I was able to attend photography workshops of renowned photographers such as Tilak Hettige (travel), Raymund Isaac (fashion), John Mateos Ong (weddings) at the Graphic Expo and Photo-Video Expo in SMX. Aside from that, Zone V also did Zone V Gets Back In Your Face photo exhibit.

If these walls could talk. Finally! I was able to join a walking tour of Intramuros with Carlos Celdran and a workshop on travel writing and photography by Writer's Block Philippines. Very inspiring!

Shooting Twins. Tried to shoot the opposite sides of the twins (for our July's contest theme: Opposites). I love how identical twins can look similar yet be different in so many ways. Looking forward to more fashion shoots ala 'Look Book' this 2011.

Cebu memories! P188 baby back ribs at Casa Verde, Ayala Mall. Friday RnB night at The Penthouse. Saturday 80's / Wave night at Formo. RnB at the Loft on Saturday. Taoist Temple. Magellan's Cross near Sto. Nino Basilica. Manangs asking you if you want prayers for your love life. Lapu-lapu monument (and not the fish). The Spa at Cebu. CitiChurch Cebu. I think I'll never run out of things to do here. I'd always come back.

"BLEISURE" (Business and Leisure) at La Union, North Luzon. San Juan Surf Resort (too bad there was no "swell" of the waves). A few cutie surfers. Then at Thunderbird Resort in Poro Point in La Union where I felt like I was in Greece. Baguio is just an hour away, so we did a side trip over there!



Doing Sports Unlimited in CDO and Bukidnon; Seeing the legendary Twin Falls in Iligan. Conquered the white water rapids of Cagayan de Oro river. Drove to Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon from CDO to experience Asia's longest dual zipline (840 m.) at Dahilayan Adventure Park. Passed through the vast fields of Del Monte's pineapple plantation. Also made a side trip to Iligan to see Ma. Cristina Falls.


2010 was a year of slipping into marital bliss! First, it was Len who tied the knot with Terence. Then there were two more destination weddings: it was Cai and Nowell in Boracay and Kristine and Tim in Singapore! So friends, who's getting married next? :)


Sat on top of the world in Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. And that's just one of the things I did there. Next goal is to really CHECK-IN there. :)

Our last photo exhibit for 2010. Standing Tall: Zone V Camera Club's year-end photo exhibit using vertical panoramic format.

Whew! What a year! Thank you, 2010, for capping off this decade with a blast. I just can't thank you enough, Lord. TWENTY ELEVEN is going to be UNCONTAINABLE! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment