Sunday, July 24, 2011

I want to go to Peru!

I love going to "lost" cities! Exploring the ancient infrastructures, trekking the ruins, learning the mysterious stories behind it, taking photos... there's something about these places that give me a different high. (This is probably the reason why I enjoyed the Temples of Angkor so much the moment I stepped there.)

I'm reminded about another ancient city in Peru: The Lost City of Inca: Machu Picchu. Today, July 24, marks the 100th anniversary of the rediscovery of this city. In 2007, this was elected to part of the 7 New Wonders of the World. What makes this trail challenging is the trek to the hilltop to get to the grand complex. It's located 7,000 feet above sea level and nestled on a small hilltop between the Andean Mountain Range, which soars above the Urabamba Valley below. What makes this more alluring are the mysteries of this Inca structure. Many theories have emerged, but historians and archaeologists are still unsure of the function.


(Take a virtual tour of Machu Picchu here).

It's a long way from my country but at least we don't need a visa going to Cusco, Peru. With the celebration of its 100th anniversary of discovery, I'm sure more travelers will flock here. Though I may not be able to go this year, this is definitely on my bucket list! :)

2 comments:

Leemor said...

I'm looking to go within the next 2 years ;)

Libby Malibiran said...

I still have other countries on my list, but yeah, hopefully me too!

Post a Comment