Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lessons Learned from Washi / Sendong (a Tribute to Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, North Mindanao)

My previous white water rafting
adventure in CDO River.  Who would've
thought that this same river would
wash away hundreds of homes? :( 
My heart breaks everytime I see those images from the recent tragedy in North Mindanao because of Typhoon Washi (international name) or as we locally call it, Sendong. I've had personal and business travels in those areas and I've witnessed Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, and Bukidnon's beauty. Now, I've seen the total opposite. I couldn't imagine that it would be this devastating.

Ma. Cristina Falls in Iligan

After my trips there, it has become one of my favorite places (and people) in the Philippines. And so as Christmas drew near, I gladly did my own share of giving back to the people of CDO and Iligan. Hope it helped in a way. I also would like to share these slides from Ms. Marvin Isidore Macatol from Facebook. I hope we all learn something from it.





Recalling Sendong: Did you really understand what just happened?



























 * * * 

TREES
by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)


I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

0 comments:

Post a Comment